Sunday, April 6, 2014

Kampung Boy Response

            When I first began reading Kampung Boy, a graphic novel, I was not sure what to expect. I cannot remember the last time I had read a graphic novel and I had no idea of what to expect; I was not sure if I would even enjoy it but I found this story intriguing. At first, when I hear graphic novel I think pictures galore and little caption boxes kind of like comic books. However, I found that it was more than just pictures and captions on a page; it was an illustration of a person’s childhood growing up in Kampung Village in Malaysia. This story is an autobiographical describing Lat’s, the author, childhood experiences while in this small village.
            The novel starts off with Lat describing what his birth and early life was like. Before any of us can even remember what it was like when we were born, Lat uses descriptions from his mother to describe what his early years were like. Lat describes the traditions and rituals of the time to draw you in as a reader so that we may understand what is going on during this period of time. Although Lat may not be able to remember what happened, we can trust that he is giving us an accurate description of the events that occurred. While reading this novel I found that the author takes you back through time to describe his childhood experiences growing, playing, making friends, and learning about who he is. He shares his experiences, in detail, of how growing up was as a toddler. My favorite experience he shared was when he “loved to look out of the window because that was the closest he could get to the surroundings outside the house.” And the best part was when he would stick his head out too far and the cartoon showed him being stuck between two posts.
            The curiosity he shared was all the way through the story. He shares many of his experiences and dreams and admirations through words but also the pictures. We are given a chance to see a life through more than only words and only pictures. The cartoons add more to the story. They give perspective using more than words but audiences. It attracts more than just one audience which is great and useful to allow for your story to be heard.
            At first it was hard to follow but once I got to age 10 it was rather clear. It is not hard to tell that the book goes through time but as the story progressed so does Mat. He was Page 74 he was nine and page 95 he was 10 years old. The progresson went as experiences came to Mat. At age nine he got a new brother and age 10 he had to be circumcised. He shares his experiences. The end of the book is him leaving the village to go off to a boarding school and he shares his feelings through his art and articulates it with words.

            This novel, though a graphic novel and not what I was expecting at all, was really great. I enjoyed being able to read and see a child’s life and gave the story a new life. Usually I think of picture books and novels but never the two put together but I think Lat did an amazing job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment